Subject: Re: Question about SPLs
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: None <rhealey@aggregate.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/17/1994 09:52:16
> Gregory> First, major device numbers.  Is there any proper protocol I
> Gregory> should go through to allocate one?  For now, I've taken
> Gregory> device 17.

	Uh oh... I see some problems in the future here.

	The 2232 driver, which can't be publically released because it
	still uses the 6502 board code from AmigaUNIX, uses character
	device 17.

	I think we need to set up some sort of registery for
	Amiga devices even if they can't be included in the main tree
	for whatever reason.

> The correct thing to do, is to make this a LKM, loadable kernel module.
> Check /usr/share/lkm on how to do it.  I doubt this card of yours will
> never be a candidate for a serial console, so a LKM would be perfect.
> Let's see who gets there first, my LKM ADOSFS or your Supra LKM device :-)

	There are only 5 LKM slots for character devices. If EVERYBODY
	starts using LKM's we could start running out of slots. Also, at
	this point in the game it's a HELL of alot easier to do a compiled
	in device driver than an LKM.

	Also, has anybody actually been able to get an LKM driver to WORK
	on the Amiga kernel?

		-Rob