Subject: Re: Broken kernels?
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/13/1994 16:42:13
On Mar 13,  2:51pm, "Eduardo E. Horvath  eeh@btr.com" wrote:
> Those were precisely my conclusions.  So I took a look at the compiler
> output, and it looked correct, albeit inefficient.  I then examined the
> source code that generated pagetable_pa and pagetable_size.  The
> calculations seem correct.  Can anyone think of a way to check the values
> of the variables t run-time?

  You could add code to store the contents of the variables into an
absolute location in memory, someplace that won't be overwritten when
you reboot AmigaDOS.  Then use a debugger or memory editor to examine
those locations.

  My configuration also has the advantage that the 32 bit memory doesn't
autoconfigure.  My cold boot doesn't add the 32 bit memory, so the contents
will remain intact when I reboot AmigaDOS.  Using the output of nm on the
kernel, I can locate code and data in the 32 bit memory and examine it.

  Another option would be use the SIM debugger.  I'm not certain how
much effort it would take to be able to use it with the NetBSD startup.
It's been a while since I've done anyting with SIM, so I don't remember
all the details of setting it up.

> I also tried the generic kernel dated 940305.  It will successfully boot
> to the point of sync negotioation.  Now I'm really puzzled.  The sources
> work, the compiler works, so what's left, the linker and the assembler?

  I just checked the differences between amiga_init.c between 02/19 and 03/26
and the only differences I found were cosmetic (reformatting of function
declarations.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu