Subject: Re: Broken kernels?
To: Andy Heffernan <ahh@netcom.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/13/1994 14:32:53
On Sun, 13 Mar 1994, Andy Heffernan wrote:

> 	So, the screen clears and nothing else happens?  I've been having
> the same problems with my first try at sun-lamp sources.  I'm using gcc
> 2.5.6 (what was in the 720 binaries).  I still need to go through old
> messages to look for clues.

That's the gist of it.  After looking at the assembly output of the
culprit region (which looks alright) I'm beginning to think that the
culprit must be the compiler, assembler, or linker.

Chris, have you made any changes to the source that are incompatible with
ld.old when you switched to the new ld?

> 	This was just the approach I was intending to take over the
> next few days.  Would it be possible to clean up your debugging code
> and get it committed to the tree?  Debugging is really painful before
> printf is available, and it would be nice to have some color changes
> to see how far booting is progressing.

I just sprinkled the code with:

*((short*)0xdff180) = 0x0f00;

After a very close examination of the source and assembly output, the
only conclusion I can come to is that the page table size is insanely
huge, and the loop starts scribbling into the custom chips and IO area of
memory.  Since most of my devices start going crazy, this obviously seems
to be happenning, but I can't see why.

This whole thing is really a big mystery to me.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid