Subject: Re: Broken kernels?
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/13/1994 15:04:39
On Mar 13,  8:08am, "Eduardo E. Horvath  eeh@btr.com" wrote:
> > > I have been trying to compile a working kernel from the supped sources
> > > and have been failing miserably.  It appears that the sources since
> > > about 031094 die inside amiga_init.c.  I am running a standard A2500,
> > > and have the latest loadbsd and config (I compiled it myself from the
> > > same sources.)  I have tried compiling with 3 different levels of
> > > customization, and recompiled from scratch several times, and even the
> > > generic kernel fails.
> The problem has persisted, and the set I am currently debugging I
> supped on the 12, so the problem does not seem fixed yet.

  I am currently running a kernel from the sources on the 12th with no
problems (although it is a 68040, so the amiga_init code executed is
different).

> I have managed to gather a few more details.  Though dilligent poking
> of color register zero, I have determined that the falure occurs in
> the section around line 392 that looks like this (line numbers have
> changed slightly in mine):
>
> >  /* invalidate remainder of kernel PT */
> >  while (pg < (u_int *) (pagetable_pa + pagetable_size))
> >    *pg++ = PG_NV;
>
> The code before this section is executed, but the code after this is
> not.

  This would lead me to believe that something has corrupted either
pagetable_pa or pagetable_size somewhere, or else the compiler is
generating incorrect code so that loop doesn't terminate.  [I'm still
using gcc 2.5.6, and using the -O2 option with no problems.]

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant			BITNET:  OSYMH@MTSUNIX1.BITNET