Subject: Re: Compiling from sun-lamp sources
To: Stephen J. Roznowski <sjr@zombie.ncsc.mil>
From: None <rhealey@aggregate.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/10/1994 10:46:08
> > Second, a question regarding compiling things like usr.sbin:  Where are
> > the variables MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH supposed to come from?  Or, more
> > directly, what is the correct way to rebuild an individual binary (such
> > as config) and have make install work?  (I'll assume the same applies to
> > the src/include Makefile).
>
> I believe this is an error from using an old make binary. Rebuild and
> reinstall make first.

	MACHINE_ARCH and MACHINE are internal make variables that came
	about during changes in early January I think. The first time you
	make the newer make you have to define MACHINE_ARCH as m68k
	manually, i.e. setenv MACHINE_ARCH m68k. After the newer make is
	installed things should take care of themselves from then on.

	flex and rpcgen also have "tricks" to making them the first time.
	flex requires you copy a simple scanner to the main scanner source
	to bootstrap it and rpcgen requires you to make the new rpcgen then
	make the rpc library.

	With the 0219 tar files this might not be necessary as the person
	who cut the tar might have already done all this.

		-Rob