Subject: Re: Serial line speed
To: None <>
From: David Jones <>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/08/1994 07:43:36
> > From: markus@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE (Markus Illenseer)
> > On Mar 6,  1:08pm, "Stephen J. Roznowski" wrote:
> > > Subject: Serial line speed
> > >
> > > Is there any reason why the speeds 57600 and 115200 are not
> > > supported by ser.c?
> >
> >  Some test yielded that an Amiga3000 running NetBSD is not able to
> >  constantly serve (input and output) these speed without major
> >  dropouts.
> While I'll agree that I might not *want* to run my A3000 at these
> speeds, they should at least be supported... :-)

I might get flamed for this, but: the following has been observed:

i486DX2/66 running Linux: does 115200 no problem (kernel hack required to
enable baud rate in baud table)
Same box with NetBSD: puke puke puke
A3000/16 running AmigaOS V40: does 38400, but asserts RTS/CTS while doing so
Same box with NetBSD at 115200?  No chance!

BTW, the i486 had a buffered UART, my Amiga does not.

Agreed that 115200 can be supported by expansion cards, but not practical
on internal port.

David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
email:, finger for more info/PGP public key