Subject: Sup behind firewall
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Francis Demierre <francis@hasler.ascom.ch>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/07/1994 15:18:41
Alan, in a previous mail, you say:

   > From: Alan Bair <abair@amcu-tx.sps.mot.com>
   > Subject: sun-lamp sup vs. tar files
   > Date: Fri, 4 Mar 94 15:23:10 CST

   > I just received the latest list of sun-lamp updates of the Amiga sources and
   > have some questions about obtaining the latest code. I picked up the sup
   > system, but unfortunately, my access to the Internet is via a firewall, and
   > I can't see anyway to get sup to work through it. So from reading the notes
   > on sun-lamp, it sounds like the only other choice is the tar file packages.
   > This would mean I am limited to Saturday/Sunday snapshots. It seems that
   > if I wanted anything in between, I would need to pick up individual files.
   >
   > Please correct me if I am wrong about the tar files. If anyone has any
   > hints on using sup with a firewall, please let me know.
   >
   > PS: Thanks for providing the source updates list.

I have got a version of sup that works here on my machine (Sun LX -
SunOS 4.1.3c) thru our firewall.

What you really need is to SOCKify it using the package described below.
Basically, socket calls in the SUP source must be replaced with calls in the
SOCKS library (ie: bind -> Rbind, etc ..) and link SUP with the socks library.

Then, the firewall machine must run the sockd deamon and must include you
in a table of hosts allowed to pass thru. If you can get that kind of
authorization from your firewall host manager, then that is the solution !

(You can compile and run your sockified application without any special
privilege..)

(BTW: a version of SOCKS (the one I use successfully) can be found on
hslrswi.hasler.ascom.ch (139.79.129.1) in /src/socks.tar.gz)

Also, despite the fact How_to_SOCKSify of socks says that :

> 1) Find out if UDP is used in the program by doing "grep SOCK_DGRAM" on
> all the source files. If any such lines are found (and are not comments),
> you can't make it work with SOCKS. There is, however, a UDP relayer
> which is to UDP what SOCKS is to TCP, and you may want to look into
> it. It is written by Tom Fitzgerald <fitz@wang.com> and is available
> from host ftp.wang.com, file /pub/fitz/udprelay-0.2.tar.Z.

there is a SOCK_DGRAM found in Sup that can just be plainly replaced with
a SOCK_TCP which works as well for its purpose ... So it works ...

Hope this helps .... Francis

Francis Demierre          SMTP : francis@hasler.ascom.ch
Ascom Hasler AG,          UUCP: ...!mcsun!chsun!hslrswi!francis
Abt. NVEI2,               X.400: S=francis/O=ascom/P=eunet/A=arcom/C=ch
Belpstrasse 37,,          Tel. : +41 31 999 3503
CH-3000 Bern 14           Fax  : +41 31 999 3735

-----      EXTRACT OF THE README FILE --------------------------------

This is CSTC 4.1 release of SOCKS, a package that allows Unix hosts
behind a firewall to gain full access to the internet without requiring
direct IP reachability. It does require a SOCKS server program being
run on a hosts that can communicate directly to hosts behind the firewall
as well as hosts on the Internet at large.  It is based on the original
SOCKS written by David Koblas <koblas@netcom.com>.

The package includes full source for the SOCKS server and SOCKSified
client programs of finger, ftp, telnet, and whois. Other SOCKSified
clients such as xgopher (ver. 1.3.1) and Mosaic (ver. 2.0) can be
found on ftp.nec.com, in directory /pub/security/socks.cstc. (On
WWW, the URL is file://ftp.nec.com/pub/security/socks.cstc ) Mosaic 2.1
as distributed by NCSA already contains the SOCKSification patch in its
source, which is available from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu, in /Mosaic/Mosaic-source.

This release is known to run on the following Unix platforms:

SunOS 4.1.x (ylee@syl.dl.nec.com)
Irix 4.0.x (imd1707@ggr.co.uk)
Ultrix 4.3 (als@cpsg.com.au, imd1707@ggr.co.uk)
HP-UX 9.0x (als@cpsg.com.au, ken.shackelford@sdrc.com, bryan@Stoner.COM)