Subject: Re: Floppy driver
To: Mike Schwartz <mykes@shell.portal.com>
From: Danny R. Boxhoorn <danny@astro.rug.nl>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 03/02/1994 10:29:26
"This announcement, produced by the author of this e-mail, contains important
information and is *NOT* for broadcast!"

> As for fdformat, it has to do NOTHING special to handle different flavors of
> trackdisk formatted disks.  If it writes sector 0 and the two sectors on track
> 40 the _right_ way, when you ADOS format it (we will need an ADOS/newfs anyhow)
> the disklabel and bam will be initialized for ADOS filesystem.  If you don't
> ADOS format it, you can tar 880K-1536 bytes on the disk and still use ADOS to
> diskcopy it, do ADOS info on it, etc.

Exactly. Taking this one step further, why is fdformat needed anyway?
All a disk needs is a disklabel and an allocation bitmap. Formatting
can be done the first time an unformatted track is written.
There is no need to format ALL tracks of a disk.
Many people (must?) have thought about this, but can't we be the first
ones to implement this? |{)

                                                 Danny R. Boxhoorn