Subject: Re: Floppy driver
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Chris Hooper <hooper@gdls.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/28/1994 21:13:26
Disclaimer:  I do not know Unix driver programming, nor do I claim to
             know anything about how floppy drives actually work.
             In fact, I _don't_even_ run NetBSD (yet).  :)

Ok, here's an optimization suggestion once you guys have a working
and stable driver...

Maintain a "last track" variable.  After the read has been completed,
first check to see if the "current track" = "last track" + 1.  If it
does, initiate a seek to the "current track" + 1.
Before returning control to the higher level caller, update the
"last track" to be the "current track."

The one thing I am unsure about is whether you can do an async
seek with a floppy drive.  If you can, this may boost performance,
as the driver won't be waiting as long on the floppy to settle.

Any ideas?  flames?

- Chris Hooper     Computer Sciences Corporation - System Support Engineer at
  hooper@gdls.com  General Dynamics  [Sterling Heights, MI]    (810) 825-5061
       "I'm not a system administrator, but I play one in real life."