Subject: Re: Floppy driver
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/28/1994 22:32:46
In article <199402282052.MAA07825@nova.unix.portal.com> mykes@shell.portal.com (Mike Schwartz) writes:
> I have a bit of advise here.  When I wrote MS-DOS or AmigaOS formatted
> floppies with my own drivers, I wrote two sectors on track 40 of the floppy
> to fool amigaos into thinking that the disk was indeed an AmigaOS disk but
> that it was 100% full.  My reasoning was that when someone sticks a disk in
> the drive and sees a bad volume reported by amigaos, they'd consider
> formatting it to use it :-)  With the 100% full (fill BAM sector with
> 0xffff), they saw the disk was valid and could not use DOS or some other
> program to write on the disk.
>
> 0xffff.  My floppy disk drivers would automatically skip writing or reading
> data from these two "magic" sectors.

Um, all of this and the disk IDs you mentioned before is great for your own
stuff, but we need a floppy driver that can interoperate with the rest
of the world, ie read and write normal MS-DOS, AmigaDOS, and tar disks.

> You also have to deal with track 0, where the boot sector goes.  Otherwise
> ADOS will not see it is a valid dos disk.

Probably the best way to do this is to have the disklabel faker routine
report two partitions, a which skips track 0, and c which covers the
whole disk.  You'd use 'a' in conjunction with adosfs, and 'c' with tar,
msdosfs, ufs, and everything else.

--
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
tsarna@endicor.com        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."