Subject: Re: Strange kernel problems
To: None <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/28/1994 11:51:03
>>>>> "Michael" == Michael L Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu> writes:

Michael> On Feb 21, 9:54am, Niklas Hallqvist wrote:
>> I've built both a kernel derived from the 940213 sources at
>> sun-lamp as well as one from 940220.  Both behave well at first,
>> but after some time, presumably after a certain amount of paging (I
>> still run in 4MB!), all I can do is to execute bash internal
>> commands.  Every other command results in "ls: is a directory" type
>> of messages.  I haven't seen anything on current-users so I suspect
>> it's Amiga-specific (or do all PC NetBSDers have a reasonable
>> amount of memory?).  Has anoyone tried late versions on low-mem
>> Amigas?  Typically starting emacs and stopping it (C-z) is enough
>> to start this behaviour (well, I have never succeeded to do this
>> anyway).  There does not seem to be memory corruption going on, all
>> in-core images run fine, it's just that I cannot start any new
>> programs.

Michael>   Try out this fix and see if it helps any.  It has fixed the
Michael> problem I was having with the 940219 kernel.  I finally
Michael> tracked it down when I created a kernel that would give me a
Michael> "init died" panic every time I tried to boot it.  If I varied
Michael> the memory size, I could get it to run with no problem.

I LOVE YOU!

How on earth did you find this one, step by step?  I was really going crazy...
How can I return this favour?  Do you have any pet peeves which you ain't got
time to fix yourself?  Not that I got that much time but I'd like to return
something :-)  I'd almost trade Sweden's olympic hockey gold medal for this :-)

To everyone: Are there any clear evidence that -O2 is bad?  I believe Chris
took it out just in case.  And I wonder: Why didn't the copyinstr bug hit
harder?  It was *really* evil!

OK, now for ADOSFS LKM...  I here people are successfull with the hacker
release.  If just Chris applies the mount.h patch so we can get the MNT_
constant reserved...

Niklas