Subject: Re: 4mm DAT driver
To: None <amiga-dev@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, psy@sanger.med.virginia.edu>
From: Robert Leland - PSI <leland@wacky.acet.org>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/15/1994 12:25:24
> I have an Archive Python 4mm DAT drive interfaced to my
> Amiga 3000 with the stock A3000 SCSI controller.  This
> drive works fine with gnutar or AmiBack from AmigaDos.
> When I load NetBSD I get the following message:
>
>   st0: ARCHIVE Python 25601-XXX rev
>   st0: unsupported tape drive
>   st0  at a3000scsi0, slave 5
>
> The NetBSD FAQ says to ignore the 'unsupported tape drive' message.
> The system seems to recognize that the drive is an Archive Python
> and is attached to scsi device 5; this is correct.  So why do
> I get the following message when I try to access this drive with
> tar.

Ah, get the kernel incoming/vmunix-tape.tar.gz and the incoming/README.vmunix-tape file.
This kernel has, and the next released one will also, a patachable
variable called pretend_tobe_mt or something like that.
You can select what tape drive you want you tape to act like.
Try and see if it will behave like a 8mm DAT drive.
Complete details are in the README files.

>   tar: can't open /dev/rst0: Input/output error
>
> Please note the /dev/rst0 does exist.  Do I need a different
> driver for this tape drive?  If so, has anyone else already
> written such a driver and is he/she willing to share it with
> me?  If this is the case, can you tell me how to incorporate this
> driver into the system?

If it works I can patch the new st.c that is on sun-lamp for
you or you can do it youself! Patches to the 744 st.c will
definately not work, as Michael Hitch went to a data driven tables.

> Thanks,
> -Paul

-Rob