Subject: Re: ADOSFS and GPL
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
From: Chris Hopps <chopps@emunix.emich.edu>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/15/1994 09:03:00
> It can be argued that a dynamically linked executable is in fact
> exactly "complete object files", which can be "relink[ed] with the
> library, after making changes to the library and recompiling it."

Hmm I don't know much about the GPL however I can tell you that LKM's
might as well be executables.  If LKM's are covered by the GPL then
the GPL is broke.  An LKM is loaded just like a binary, it passes some
stuff to the kernel to let the kernel know how to call it.  Sounds
like a executable with an exec header to me.

> And personally, I don't find the concept of the GPL that bad. Most of
> my recent AmigaOS software is GPLed, just because it is (supposed to
> be) a discouraging restriction for people who want to make money off my
> personal efforts. And if I like, I can always re-release my software

The GPL does no such thing.  On the amiga where the practice of not
selling source abounds in the commercial market, the GPL happens to
seem to have this side affect.  However Many companies sell GNU software.

> -Olaf.

Chris.