Subject: [crash@azhrei.eec.com: Re: ADOSFS and GPL]
To: None <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: amiga-dev
Date: 02/15/1994 11:25:55
[ Richard, would you like to make a ruling on a GPL matter for us?
  As you well know, the BSD type of Copyright is very liberal, even
  allowing hiding source as long as you give credits where they are
  due.  Currently the Amiga NetBSD  porting group have a dispute.
  Our problem is that we're sitting on a filesystem implementation
  written under GPL protection and we don't know if it's possible to
  incorporate this filesystem code into the main NetBSD repository at
  Berkeley without applying GPL to all of the NetBSD kernel source.
  One point being made below is that as it's installed by a compile
  time option, NetBSD as a whole cannot be regarded as work based on
  this code, thus the FS code cannot force GPL onto the other parts
  of the kernel.  Is this so?  What if a binary kernel with the FS code
  in it were to be distributed, would it be sufficient to provide the
  FS code in source form and a pointer to where the rest of NetBSD can
  be found?  I suspect this is borderline.  In the discussion below
  there's also a dispute whether or not GPLd LKMs (loadable kernel
  modules) would mean anything to the kernel copyright.  I'd say no,
  but if you would make a ruling, we'd appreciate it.  Thanks.
  - Niklas Hallqvist
]