Subject: Re: wsfb and WSDISPLAYIO_GINFO and Inappropriate ioctl for device
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 05/26/2006 12:36:36
> Your vga is running in text mode, wsfb needs something in graphics mode.

Thank you Michael for the info.

I read about wsdisplay can be in graphics mode. But I am not sure how this
is done.

Any way to have "vga" be in graphics mode? Should this be documented in
vga.4? It does mention "text-mode" a few times.

Or can pcdisplay(4) do this? The manual page is very slim. Also I didn't
find any ega(4) man page.

Anyways, I updated my NetBSD box and now am using the new:

options        KVM86                   # required for vesabios
vesabios*      at vesabiosbus?
vesafb*        at vesabios?
wsdisplay*     at vesafb? console ?

I already had this defined:
wsdisplay*      at vga? console ?
wsdisplay*      at pcdisplay? console ?

Rebooting bypassed the vga (and I never used the pcdisplay before) and I
have:

vesabios0 at mainbus0: version 3.0,
vesafb0 at vesabios0: VESA frame buffer
vesafb0: fb 640x480x8 @0xd8000000
vesafb0: VBE/PM 1.0 [standby] [suspend] [off]
wsdisplay0 at vesafb0 kbdmux 1: console (fb, vt100 emulation)
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
text at vesabios0 not configured

And then:

wsdisplay0: screen 1 added (fb, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 2 added (fb, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 3 added (fb, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 4 added (fb, vt100 emulation)

And using wsfb driver from Xorg works.

Where is the documentation for NetBSD for running X on framebuffer device?

Where is the vesafb documentation? (I found a webpage though for this
but no manual page.)

As I learn more about this, I may document some how-to steps ...

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'I7@87944:;6<754372=9=?48812=7043:>' | tr '0-@' 'wutrofn mlkige.ca'