Re: ZFS - mounting filesystems (Was CVS commit: src/etc)

> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 08:32:40 -0400
> From: Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>
>
> Simon Burge <simonb%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
> >  5. Move all local mounts to /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal (ala
> >     FreeBSD) and possibly rename this to /etc/rc.d/mountlocal .
>
> I think the only thing we lose with this is the ability to mount local
> filesystems on top of mount points that are in remote filesystems,
> without playing the noauto/rc.local game.  I am ok with this personally,
> but it feels hard to be sure it won't cause trouble, and I do expect
> some trouble.

Does anyone actually do this -- have local mounts on top of remote
mounts?

I keep hearing about the theoretical possibility of /usr on nfs and
/usr/src or /usr/local on local ffs.  But you'd really have to go out
of your way to set that up -- certainly sysinst won't do that for you.
Not sure it's too much to ask that if you do set something up like
that you use noauto/rc.local or a local rc.d script to manage it.

Is this obscure use case actually worth worrying about enough to add
new knobs, invent new NetBSD-specific zfs properties, and/or keep a
confusing series of mount stages in rc.d?

I think it would be better to just nix the `critical' distinction:
mount root, then mount all local, then start networking and mount all
remote.  Keep it simple unless there's a strong reason not to.