useradd(8) behavior (Re: default skel files)

agc@ wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 09:48:56PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > > I'd never considered using useradd(8) as a host tool, or for destdir
> > > support; I'll look into adding that over the next few months.
> >
> > It would also be great if useradd(8) has better error checks.
> >
> > Currently checks against home-dir and skel-dir are done after
> > password files are updated, so it often causes incomplete results.
>
> Thanks for the feedback - I'm not sure from the above if more error
> checks are needed, or the checks need to be done before updating
> files, though?

I meant "the checks need to be done before updating files."

When I specified a wrong skel dir name, it complained
 "Can't open source . files dir `%s'"
After I typed a correct skel dir, then it complained
 "Can't add user `%s': uid %d is already in use"
because password files were already updated before the first error.
It was a bit annoying..

Probably we also need an explicit option to ignore errors
on home-dir and skel-dir?
---
Izumi Tsutsui