Re: Autoconfiguring root device and fstab(5) (wedges?)

In article <20110328163855.GD442%apb-laptoy.apb.alt.za@localhost>,
Alan Barrett  <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Mar 2011, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> We can't move the logic from mount(8) to anywhere because
>> fsck(8) needs to work when a filesystem is not mounted, and
>> mount(8) uses getmntinfo(3) to determine the "from_mount"
>> values.
>
>The only time people are likely to expect "from_mount" to work
>with fsck(8) is when the root file system is mounted read-only,
>and you want to fsck it before re-mounting it as read-write.  Does
>getmntinfo(3) work in this case?  (I assumed it would, but
>haven't tested.)

Well, if it is only for the root filesystem, then it is pretty simple
to do. It should be explicitly specified on the manual pages that it
will only work for root, and even then it might cause breakage to
the getfsent() users.

christos