Re: FreeBSD i18n fonts for wscons

Geert Hendrickx <ghen%telenet.be@localhost> wrote:

> Can we import the other console fonts from FreeBSD, too?  I tried their
> koi8-r.816 and it gave me a working Russian wscons (ru_RU.KOI8-R locale).

If memory serves (it's been quite a while since I used FreeBSD), the
usual modus operandi under FreeBSD is to use cp866 (and other DOS
codepages) recoding program output -> screen (koi8-r to cp866, latin-1
-> cp437, etc).  This is needed to get smooth, connected line-drawing
(aka box-drawing, aka pseudographic) characters since VGA hardware
automagically clones 8th column into 9th column for glyphs that are
pseudographic in cp437.  Try to run mutt with "set noascii_chars" or
nethack -dec on console.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen