Subject: Re: file creation decreases memory !
To: None <nmahajan@hss.hns.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/02/2004 20:55:11
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:41:48AM +0530, nmahajan@hss.hns.com wrote:

> Hi,
>

> [...]
>
> My questions /:
> what happens further is that if say a program asks for memory it goes down
> saying out of swap ??
> so why isnt the file system being written back to ??

I've seen this happen on NetBSD 1.6 (you don't say which release you're
running) and I think this a consequence of what Jason exposed on tech-kern a
few days ago ("Page reactivation path in pdaemon"). I don't think there
is a solution for this yet. A workaround may be to tune the vm.* sysctls
to reduce vm.filemax to something like 20, and maybe bump the exec and anon
parameters.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>