Subject: Re: ftpd(8) enhancements
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/24/1997 18:51:31

> This reminds me all of wu-ftpd, i'd vote for integrating that one (as long as
> the copyright's ok, as Chris mentioned), instead of rewriting.

Are we all aware that WU-FTPD is currently being maintained and
enhanced by a third party and that the present offering is no longer
beset by the problems that plagued the WU distribution?  And it
provides support for virtual sites (a feature many ought to appreciate)
besides the innumerable, almost essential enhancements.

I appreciate the concerns about security, as well as the strange need
to have to refer to an O'Reilly book for details on configuration, but
I believe these are surmountable obstacles and the daemon itself has
plenty of merit.

I guess the obvious consequence, copyright permitting, is to include
both daemons in the distribution, in which case I vote for a minimal
server in one instance and WU in the other (but don't dare remove REGET
support from the server, too often have I cursed Microsoft for leaving
it out of the NT IIS offering).
--
Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za)
Disclaimer: I'm working at getting my opinions to agree with me.