Subject: Re: OSF Dev Env (ODE) (was: fix for MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/obj make build)
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/21/2000 11:07:52
>> :@<tvar>@<string>@

> Anyhow, in many/most cases, it's a lot easier to understand what's
> going on when you use .for .

Yes...but .for has the problem that it's line-based; it's impossible to
generate sub-line amounts of text from a .for repetition.

This can usually be worked around if necessary, of course.  But having
this construct available strikes me as a Good Thing.

> make really wants to be a functional language.  Before you add an
> obscure way to express "mapcar", how about adding functions/macros
> with parameters first? :-)

m4! m4! :)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca