Subject: Re: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 2
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/19/1998 16:40:54
> On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>
> : The compiler cannot compile libc's softfloat.c in the way that it was
> : written (it exploited a bug in gcc 2.7 to return a structure that was
> : larger than 32 bits in a register) -- I'm working on a fix for this, but
> : haven't completed it yet.
>
> Hm.  The suggestion about "unsigned long long" may be useful; of course, the
> problem there is knowing which 32 bits are the high and low ones (though you
> could make the assumption, since the software is in libc/arch/arm32).

This will work, but my experiments show that the code will be less
efficient that the code generated by the old 2.7 compiler.  I'm currently
working on a patch that would give us something like the Norcroft
compiler's "return_in_regs" attribute, but it won't be in the official
egcs 1.1 releases since these are now feature-frozen.

Richard.