Subject: EGCS update, 2.Apr.1998
To: None <mrg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/02/1998 09:29:34
Ah, more changes added.  Corrections to the previous announcement:

: - Build egcs with EGCS_BOOTSTRAP=1 if your current compiler is not gcc
:   version 2.8 or later.

This is no longer necessary (though it will work); it detects what version
of g++ you have automatically at build and will throw a notice to recompile
libgcc with egcs at install time if necessary.

: - If libgcc is compiled without EGCS_BOOTSTRAP, it will try to install
:   includes into ${DESTDIR}/usr/include/g++

Nope.  This was actually fixed as a side-effect of some other fixes.

New:

- The f77 compiler was enabled by Matt yesterday, and I checked its
  compilability with gcc 2.7.  It's fine.

- The cc1 suite can be told to build libcc1 as a shared object if the
  make variable CC1_SHLIB is set during compile.  THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL
  OPTION, intended for performance and reliability testing.  Personally,
  I have used a shlib-based egcs for some time, but I want to see how
  mileage varies on other systems.  Enabling this option will save about
  1.1 to 1.8 MB of code on each of cc1, cc1obj, cc1plus, and f771.  The
  shlib does not yet know how to install itself, however.

- libstdc++ (the one in gnu/lib/libstdc++, not the one in gnu/lib/libg++)
  _must_ be built by egcs.  Building it with gcc 2.7 will fail, and the
  binary format that g++ 2.7 and g++ 2.8 output is very different in the
  default configuration.