Subject: 2nd round of i386 + MP test kernels now available.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@netbsd.org>
List: tech-smp
Date: 02/29/2000 10:00:00
Changes since last time:
	- INSTALL.MP floppy kernel is no longer stripped so tracebacks
		will be more comprehensible
	- I/O interrupts should work if the boot cpu is not at apic id 0.
	- the presence of an EISA bus should not cause an immediate
	  panic while processing interrupt routing information.
	  Note that I have no idea if the EISA interrupt routing code
	  I wrote actually *works*, as I have no hardware to test it on..
	- "locking against myself" warning message from msdosfs is
	  fixed.

Known bugs:
	- PCMCIA/cardbus interrupt disestablish still doesn't work.

Reported problems not yet investigated:
	- panic: apic_vectorset: no free vectors
		seen by one person.
	- cpu failed to become ready errors
		(seen on two or three systems).
		the kernel will drop into DDB at this point; you can
		continue (c), but this is an indication that the other
		CPU failed to start.
	- one system reported an I/O APIC at APIC ID 16, which is an
	  unusual address..
		ioapic0 at mainbus0 apid 16 (I/O APIC)
		ioapic0: duplicate apic id (ignored)
		panic: can't deal with all-ioapics interrupt yet!

See ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/mptest/

In that directory, you'll find several test kernels and a boot floppy
image set containing the currently HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL x86
multiprocessor spinup support.  If you attempt to put these into
production use, I'll laugh at you.

netbsd-GENERIC.MP       GENERIC.MP kernel, for booting on systems
                        which already have NetBSD installed.
netbsd-INSTALL.MP       compressed INSTALL.MP kernel with install miniroot.
netbsd-HYDRA            Kernel for my ABIT BP6-based development machine.

boot1.fs                boot floppy image (1/2)
boot2.fs                boot floppy image (2/2)

Please send reports of how far these manage to boot on your systems to
sommerfeld@netbsd.org and/or tech-smp@netbsd.org.

dmesg output from a successful boot (or an unsuccessful boot, for that
matter) would be appreciated; probably the best way to capture dmesg
output frmo an unsuccessful boot is by hooking up a serial console and
using serial bootblocks.  a future round may include alternate boot
floppy images with serial bootblocks to make this easier.

					- Bill