Subject: Re: CBC and LRW?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Travis H. <solinym@gmail.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/02/2006 18:28:24
On 7/29/06, Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> wrote:
> This is not necessarially a disadvantage. Backing up the plaintext
> filesystem is for me the ideal case, since my backups are encrypted
> before leaving the host.

There is a minor disadvantage here in that your data will be available
in ciphertext form with two different ciphers (though hopefully two
different keys).  So your strength is limited to the weakest of the
two, if one makes the (probably unreasonable) assumption the attacker
has access to both.

Incidentally, I too encrypt my backups and I'm currently looking at
making  IEEE-SISWG-compatible program for doing tape backups when they
publish a standard for tape backup encryption.  My current system is
somewhat antiquated, but it computes the approximate size of
partitions, uses a greedy bin-packing algorithm for packing them onto
tapes, and performs an unattended backup.

See:
http://www.siswg.org/

Are you using http://duplicity.nongnu.org/?
Unix "guru" for rent or hire -><- http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/
GPG fingerprint: 9D3F 395A DAC5 5CCC 9066  151D 0A6B 4098 0C55 1484