Subject: Re: timing attack via hyperthreading
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Andrew R. Reiter <arr@watson.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/16/2005 13:51:59
On Sun, 15 May 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

:See ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:09.htt.asc
:
:Briefly, the article claims that there are timing attacks on
:hyperthreading machines that permit disclosure of, for example,
:cryptographic keys.  The advisory I quote does not have sufficient
:details to let me evaluate it definitively, but I would say it's
:extremely plausible, given other results on timing attacks -- see, for
:example, http://crypto.stanford.edu/~dabo/abstracts/ssl-timing.html
:

http://www.daemonology.net/papers/htt.pdf

I would say it just increases the chances of timing attacks.

--
Andrew R. Reiter
arr@watson.org