Subject: Re: How to update to the latest OpenSSH?
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/04/2001 18:16:59
On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 09:01:45AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 11:54 AM -0500 12/4/01, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> >I'm hoping that that will happen while I still
> >remember what I did...
>
> Exactly my reason for not just installing from pkgsrc and editing
> /etc/rc.d/sshd. I could easily see a later update wiping out my
> change and I wouldn't notice it because sshd (the wrong one) would
> come up just fine after the update.

Normally i use pkgsrc for openssh and i'll always maintain copies
of config files which i use in my own dir, like /etc/rc.d/sshd
and ssh_config etc which i modified myself.
After updating by pkgsrc i copy these files again to their proper
place and ... voila.
Basically, i do the same for postfix.
But i can see why you do it that way, many times i forgot to backup
my configs changes etc and ended up with the 'ACK' feeling
and overwritten stuff by
new installed pkgsrc :-)
Bye,

Mipam.