Subject: Re: Newbie looking to figure out how to do a port!
To: None <tech-ports@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: tech-ports
Date: 02/18/2006 00:05:14
In message <000501c63450$cfcd3cc0$1318a8c0@paq11>, "Toru Nishimura" writes:
>If you're brave enough and has ability to replace NOR flash contents (these
>days the main usage of pricy JTAG equipment is just a NOR writer) it'd be
>a promising option to invent "your native bootloader" or to switch RB to well
>regarded opensource U-boot.

I'd rather not, just because I'm sharing this box with eCos and Linux apps.

>It's pretty likely your initppc() routine must  have tweaks and fixups to
>absorb mismatch or mistake in RB.

Yes.  In fact, I even know what those tweaks are.  The problem is that I only
know what they are in terms of an entirely different Linux API!

(That said, since everything works fine in eCos and Linux, I'm not sure I
would say RedBoot is *WRONG*.  NetBSD is the one that, by default, wipes
the MAC address on the emac then demands that it be stored somewhere else
in memory.)

-s