Subject: Re: a porting idea.
To: Erik Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-ports
Date: 11/17/1999 00:32:26
On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 04:12:25PM -0800, Erik Fair wrote:
> XINU (what Doug Comer did before he decided to explain TCP/IP) also
> runs without an MMU. You can probably still find XINU sources
> somewhere at Purdue CS.

It even runs on SPARCstation 1 and 1+ machines. That's Xinu 8, that is.

Xinu 6 runs on Sun 3/60 machines at least. It was The Way of teaching
OS programming at NCSU's senior-level OS class.

Xinu 6 and 8 sources are around, books are around, and there's even a
newsgroup. I may even be able to get ahold of the patches required to
get it running on our boxen if I needed to.

"You're a slacker if you only give 90% 'cause you are afraid of the \
  other 10%."                                Apr 22 1999 2:29am