Subject: a porting idea.
To: None <tech-ports@netbsd.org>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
List: tech-ports
Date: 11/15/1999 13:41:10
So while I was talking with a person from Cisco at IETF I got this crazy
idea.  Lots of older cisco hardware (and perhaps even some newer) uses
68030s. The 2500 comes to mind.  I discovered that the ethernet cards
for the 2500 use the amd lance chip.  Presumably the serial HW is
standard too. The person from cisco suggested that the bus architecure
was probably based on something standard (why develop one in-house).  I
believe the cisco boot loader expects a gzip'd ELF binary image.  So in
other words it might be a fairly simple port :)

So how about NetBSD on Cisco?  I think this would be really humorous if
nothing else. :)

I don't have time to hack on it myself but I thought I would throw the
idea out in case someone else did.

Chris.

BTW some newer HW, the 7200 I think, uses a mips processor and a PCI
bus, but that box might be too expensive for the random hacker :)