Subject: Re: Assming char == signed char?
To: Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-ports
Date: 06/19/1995 14:24:21
> >     The code should be able to compile and run with a NON ansi compiler.
>
> Isn't this kind of outdated at this point?

Uh, no.

For instance, a _LOT_ of the user-land code is relatively easily
portable to system with non-ansi compilers.  that's very useful.

As for the kernel, some people have been known to compile it in weird
cross-compilation environments (e.g. me 8-).  Having lots of ansi-isms
scattered throughout the system makes that harder.

Eventually, there should be a "flag day" when the entire system goes
to ANSI prototypes, etc. etc. etc. by default.  However, i don't think
that day has come yet.

cgd