Defaulting to ncursesw

Separate to the merging of devel/ncurses and devel/ncursesw, I'd like to acknowledge that it's 2024 and simply make the ncursesw API the default, perhaps in the update to 6.5 (if folks could hold off on doing that update yet I'd appreciate it).

Specifically that means doing something similar to what FreeBSD did a few years ago in this commit:

  https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/commit/9105b6b7a84795a82fc3fdc82febe70bb9a6c53f

and simply make libncurses and ncurses/*.h the wide API.

This wouldn't have any bearing on folks using e.g. native NetBSD curses and support for PKG_OPTIONS=wide-curses, but would made a bunch of things a lot simpler, as well as getting support for wide-curses for free for those of us who use ncurses from pkgsrc.

Obviously I'd do a lot of testing, but am interested to hear of any particular reasons why we shouldn't do this.

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com