Re: macOS clang has enabled -Werror=implicit-int

On 18 Mar 2024, at 16:19, Greg A. Woods wrote:

I _think_ a _default_ of "gnu99" pkgsrc-wide should cover all three of
those concerns almost completely(*)

If we try this, we'll need time for at least a few bulk builds (maybe more) to shake things out. I've noted the idea in the change I just committed.

Upgrading to a compiler that forcibly implements a new version of the
language standard is always going to require some porting effort for
most existing code.

Yes, we'll have to pay the cost at some point. First we need to know roughly what it is, so we can choose to pay it in a manner that minimizes impact to users.

At least now we have compilers that can be "downgraded" with a
command-line option!

Amen to that,

- Amitai