Re: Plan to help migration to the new pkgdb location - RFC

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 12:42:11AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>> What do people think?
>
> Sounds like overengineering to me.

It's not overengineering, in general.  It is possible to script this so
it happens automatically, and all sorts of software does this sort of
thing and more on upgrade all the time.

I don't think a canary file is needed; if /usr/pkg/pkgdb is a directory,
we're done.  If not, the migration can happen.

> The advice should be to update the base system (to the corresponding
> stable version, with links provided in the advice) and do the two "mv
> ..." needed for the transition.

It is not reasoable to impose a "update along stable" flag day on
people, when there is no technical reason.  And, with a symlink from the
old place, the udpate is not urgent.

> Everything where that is not enough (like bulk build chroot updates) is in
> the expert area and answered on the wiki. The wiki instructions should be
> updated to reflect the base system pullups now.

Sure, bulk build stuff is a separate issue.