Re: emacs

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 07:18:06PM -0400, Julio Merino wrote:
 > On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM, David Holland
 > <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
 > > (7) make the emacs packages not install "emacs" so multiple versions
 > > can coexist, and make the editors/emacs meta-package install "emacs"
 > > as a symlink to $EMACS_VERSION_DEFAULT, like lang/ruby does for ruby;
 >
 > Why not use pkg_alternatives, which exists exactly for this purpose?
 > (... and allows users to customize what 'emacs' points to, regardless
 > of what whoever built the packages decided.)

For the following reason: both "pkg_add emacs" and "cd */emacs && make
install", which are what users are likely to do by default, ought to
work and pull in the recommended emacs package. As I understand
things, this currently requires a meta-package.

It is therefore convenient for the meta-package to also contain the
symlinks, like lang/ruby does. If this can be done more effectively
using pkg_alternatives, I have no objection whatsoever to doing it
that way. Particularly if someone else wants to make it happen. :-)

Anyhow, this is not getting done until after branching 2012Q2 at the
earliest, so there's no hurry.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost