buildlink3.mk vs builtin.mk

Some of my package's dependencies have a builtin.mk as well as a buildlink3.mk.
 Should I include the former instead of the latter in my package's Makefile?
Other packages' Makefiles have CHECK_BUILTIN.pkgname set around the include,
but I can't find documentation describing this. I could try blindly following
the examples, but I'd prefer to understand. Reading the Pkgsrc Guide is not
very illuminating on this point.

Thanks,
Tim