Re: pkg_add and update

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 06:27:47PM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
[... some rationale skipped ...]
> Can 'pkg_add -D' be adapted for ignoring CONFLICTS field just like it
> does for DEPENDS? Because this relates to not only my pkgnih but also
> pkg_rr, pkg_chk, pkgin and others I believe it a common interest. As
> about files causing CONFLICTS, I think pkg_add should work like the
> following. While installing A-0.2 files common to A-0.2 and B-0.1 (if
> any) should be assigned to A-0.2. While installing B-0.2 these common
> files should not be removed from the file system ignoring the fact they
> were part of B-0.1.

I think this is just another workaround.

My preferred solution would be that pkg_add be improved so that it can
automatically update all or at least a complex subset of all installed
packages, handling this case automatically, and not every tool that
sits on top of it must learn another way to cope with this kind of
problem.
 Thomas