Re: CONFLICTS variable is terrible

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:42:03 +0900, Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov%tut.by@localhost>
wrote:

>  >>  >> 3) Why not to remove CONFLICTS variable at all?
>  >>
>  >>> How to detect CONFLISTS before installation from source?
>  >> Filenames from currently installed package (before unpacking) should be
> checked
>  >> against filenames stored in database.
>
>> It's binary package behaviour.
>> Again, "Install from source".
> "Install from source" should be implemented as "Create binary package"
> and then "Install binary". This is why DESTDIR appeared. And this is
> pkgsrc's long-term goal. Right? Anyway do not create new unnecessary
> entities. Package installation should be implemented in ONE way,
> one way for binary package and 'make install'. Sooner or later.

It's a answer I expected :-)
Then even after ALL packages are converted to DESTDIR ready,
how to detect conflicts of files created at post-install stage dynamically?

>  >>> And how about conflicts with older version, already resolved with
>  >>> current version?
> Yet another reason why CONFLICTS should be removed in the future.

I'll be not glad to remove such a metadata.
It will be distant to use binary package with my poor machines...

--
"Of course I love NetBSD":-)
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost