Subject: Re: pkgsrc to replace build.sh
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/30/2007 08:14:30
On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 08:55:07AM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:37:33AM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
>
> IMHO I think this is the wrong list.

I disagree - Matthew was trying to gauge reaction, and looking for
other opinions.  These opinions would be best placed coming from the
people who know the ins and outs of the pkgsrc system - this is
exactly the right list.

> You want to change the NetBSD base source and then modify pkgsrc, so the
> bigger impact is not pkgsrc related. So it maybe current-users for a start.
>
> Just for the record: I don't think this is a good idea.

Well, I think we should at least discuss ideas, and, FWIW, I think this
is a particularly interesting one, and I'd like to thank Matthew for it.

To get into it further:

some of the software we use is portable through autoconf, and they're
mostly found in the dist directories. Since by definition pkgsrc has
bmake, and the NetBSD tree has bmake Makefiles, we should also be
good for the other software that is laid out in the {,s}bin, and
usr.{,s}bin directories.

So there shouldn't be any technical reasons against it. Making the
PLISTs, OTOH, might be a bit more of a challenge. Yes, I'm one of
those who advocates dynamic PLISTs, but I seem to be in a minority
of one on this.

Anyway, I'd really like to see more feedback on this - speak up,
please, folks.

Oh, and thanks once again, Matthew.

Regards,
Alistair