Subject: Re: PKGREVISION
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2005 14:05:56
At Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:04:09 -0400,
Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> >> [...] It is now an error if PKGREVISION appears outside a package
> >> Makefile.
> >

> > Does anyone have a problem with this change? Or with my decision of
> > making it an error instead of a warning? After all, this variable is
> > meant to be set per individual package, isn't it?
>
> This one is absolutely correct.  I had swept pkgsrc many months ago to
> fix this at the time, but this error continue to crop up again and again.

That should be a very strong hint to everyone that there's something
fundamentally wrong with the idea of forcing all the users of a shared
Makefile.common to have their own unique PKGREVISION setting.

For example sometimes, maybe even very often, the need to bump the
revision is due to a change that's common to (i.e. affects) all those
packages which share a Makefile.common and now with this nonsensical
rule they _all_ _MUST_ have their PKGREVISION values updated
simultaneously, which is more work, more error prone, and all really for
no good reason.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>