Subject: Re: show-options, supported-options-message and describe-options
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/29/2005 18:23:42
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
> I have written a patch that maps `show-options' to
> `supported-options-message' and extends the output of that target by
> explaining where to find more information. This way the user is a little more
> guided through the pkgsrc forest.
>
> The change is that `show-options' gives you a quite complete overview of the
> available options, nicely formatted, and a pointer where to find the rest.

So it doesn'y describe the options any more, and refer to another command
for that? Sounds suboptimal.

But I agree with you that pointing out where/how to set options would be
useful a low. How about adding something like the bottom of
"supported-options-message" to "show-options":

 	noon% pwd
 	/usr/pkgsrc/audio/gqmpeg
 	noon% make show-options
 	Any of the following general options may be selected:
 	        gqmpeg-japanese  Japanese ID3 tag support.
 	        gqmpeg-russian   Russian ID3 tag support.

 	These options are enabled by default: gqmpeg-japanese gqmpeg-russian
 	These options are currently enabled: gqmpeg-japanese gqmpeg-russian

add =>	You can select which build options to use by setting PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS
add =>	or the PKG_OPTIONS.gqmpeg variable.

That would suffice my needs.

  - Hubert