Subject: Re: pkgsrc vs mk.conf
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/24/2005 18:43:14
Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Johnny Lam wrote:
>

>>>So, what do you guys think of making the system's make and pkgsrc's
>>>configuration separate?  And please remember that it is _not_ a matter of
>>>enclosing stuff in .ifdef BSD_PKG_MK.
>>
>>I think this is a step in the right direction.  I would go farther and say
>>that pkgsrc should just have a standalone set of *.mk files.
>

> BTW, I forgot to reply about this point to the original poster (Quentin).
> I'm happy with pkgsrc having its own make config files, but that does *not*
> remove the requirement that MAKECONF be set to /dev/null to isolate possible
> BSD make (including "native" BSD make) invocations from unexpected
> variables.

The point I was trying to make wasn't clear.  I was just highlighting
the fact that MAKECONF isn't some environment variable that's understood
by make(1) -- it's a variable defined in bsd.own.mk and ${MAKECONF} is
then included within bsd.own.mk.  With a standalone set of *.mk files
for pkgsrc, we would simply not use /etc/mk.conf.  Instead we'd have
PKGMAKECONF?=/etc/pkgsrc.mk and just check and use *that* value in our
standalone pkgsrc *.mk files.  We would then completely isolate our own
usage of make(1) or bmake(1) from whatever environment variables or
config files that the system typically expects in its own use of make(1).

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>