Subject: Re: note: hicolor-icon-theme-0.4.tar.gz is no longer available from the master site.
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/04/2004 00:56:13
[ On Saturday, December 4, 2004 at 02:04:55 (+0100), Thomas Klausner wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: note: hicolor-icon-theme-0.4.tar.gz is no longer available from the master site.
>
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:01:14PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > What you say would be OK IFF it worked, but it almost _never_ works for
> > anything fetched from an HTTP URL, nor can it work properly either given
> > the common "helpful" behaviour of some web sites when a requested object
> > does not exist.
>
> I recommend setting FAILOVER_FETCH.

I'm well aware that I as an individual can hack a fix -- but my
situtation is not the problem I'm trying to fix (I can take care of
myself very well, at least for these kinds of problems, thankyou very
much indeed).

The point is that HTTP is _never_ going to be the best first choice for
fetching files in pkgsrc so long as the failover to a mirror site
doesn't happen every time there's a checksum match and yet that's also
a dangerous approach and thus pkgsrc should always prefer FTP whereever
and whenever possible!  That way at least when the file goes missing
from the master site then the failover will _always_ work properly.

If you still don't realize that this is a real and present problem
that's not going to go away ever by itself then please actually try it
for yourself and see just how badly and how confusingly it behaves!

--
						Greg A. Woods