Subject: Interix (Windows) support for pkgsrc added
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/11/2004 19:21:13
Preliminary support for Interix 3.x, a Unix-like environment for Microsoft
Windows 2000, XP, and 2003, has been added to pkgsrc.  The support is still
unfinished and quite unstable, but it is now possible to bootstrap the pkg
infrastructure and install most simple packages.

Interix is part of the free "Windows Services for Unix" extension provided
by Microsoft.  It can be obtained at following site (unfortunately, you will
need to use a Passport or Hotmail login to download it):

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/

If you intend to try out pkgsrc with this environment, please read
pkgsrc/bootstrap/README.Interix before installing SFU for important tips on
the install process.  That and pkgsrc/bootstrap/README contain information
on how to bootstrap pkgsrc.

The pkgsrc 2004Q1 freeze is imminent, so some pending fixups will not be
committed until after the freeze is over.  I'm not considering any of those
fixes for pullup to the 2004Q1 branch, since the Interix support is so new.

For now, if you have problems, please send e-mail to me directly rather
than using send-pr.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>