Subject: installing based on package profiles
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2004 15:20:20
I'd like a mechanism where pkg_info can output a list of package names
that can be reused by pkg_add to install similar system.

And I also want it to not list the packages that may be just dependencies
and not needed.

Maybe pkg_add can (or already does?) set some setting that indicates that
the package was installed as a dependency or not. If pkg_add doesn't
already do this, then maybe a new switch or setting could be used for the
automatic installations of dependent packages. Then maybe a +* file can
record if it was installed directly or indirectly.

For example, I choose to install 10 packages, but due to dependencies I
get 45 packages installed. So then I later I generate a list of these
chosen packages -- this is my profile.

Then I use that to reinstall on another system. I'd prefer not to include
the dependencies in the list, because they may not apply anymore.

I do understand that sometimes I may directly need a dependent package,
but if I miss that then I will add that to my profile.

Maybe pkg_add could output the list of directly installed packages by just
name and also with version.

Any comments?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/