Subject: Re: pkgtools/x11-links on a vanilla installation: missing X headers
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2004 21:26:37
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Michal Pasternak wrote:

> I've got a fresh installation of NetBSD, without any X11 stuff, with empty
> /etc/mk.conf. While trying to compile wip/d4x (needs gtk2, which needs
> Xrender, which needs x11-links) I get error while building
> pkgtools/x11-links ("x11-links requires X headers to be installed"). Well, I
> know how to fix it on that install, no problem :) but IMO we should consider
> x11-links or some pkgsrc parts to automatically install pkgsrc X11 packages
> (at least the libraries), when no X11 devel libs is available in system.

This is just like I mentioned in a few emails the past few days.

I also have proposed that bsd.buildlink?.mk do the right thing and use
x11-links if USE_PKGSRC_X=None or NO or Native. And use
XFree86-libs/buildlink?.mk if USE_PKGSRC_X=XFree86 (or
USE_PKGSRC_X=XFree86-libs).

(And also do the right thing for USE_PKGSRC_X=xlibs.)

x11-links is not needed and is redundant for XFree86-libs or xlibs.

This is easy, and I already did for xlibs on one system. And I was
planning to do USE_PKGSRC_X=XFree86 next.

I will look at this again in a couple days ... unless someone does it
first. It will take about 2 minutes of typing -- and depending on machine
-- a couple hours to test :)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/