Subject: Re: pkg_delete delete build dependencies
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/29/2004 07:23:38
On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:58:13PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
> > > But also mentioned was that the pkg_delete -R does not clean up the build
> > > dependencies too.
> > >
> > > Is it okay if we have -R repeated (like -R or "-R -R") to mean that
> > > @blddep should be removed too?
> >
> > @blddep doesn't store BUILD_DEPENDS; rather, it stores the exact
> > dependencies of the packages that match the wildcard dependencies
> > listed in @pkgdep upon which the package depends.
>
> I should have seen that.
>
> Then maybe we should add some field that records the BUILD_DEPENDS.
>
> It could be dangerous to pkg_delete them too (like could lose crucial
> perl) but that would only happen if using -RR (or -RB).

I don't think that recording build dependencies in a binary package
is useful for purposes other than what you're describing.  This only
affects users that build from source, so perhaps it's better to just
have a make target that removes all of the build dependencies and
leaves the package and its normal dependencies.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@buildlink.org>