Subject: Re: Determining the "maximum length of command line argument"
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/25/2004 00:28:32
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 06:14:17PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Saturday, January 24, 2004 at 07:56:30 (+0100), Martin Weber wrote: ]
> > (...) If there was some package in the tree which
> > just was there to run a configure stage with *every* function and *every*
> > header, *every* binary being recorded that the base system possibly offers
> > (that is, start from what NetBSD offers (stdlib.h inttypes.h errno.h etc. etc.)
> > and have configure sort out things on non-NetBSD pkgsrc hosts). Run once,
> > save time, ... -- automatically --, that's the point.
>
> Yes, that's exactly right!
>
> The best approach now that pkgsrc is "portable" would indeed be for
> someone to to write a pkgtools/autoconf-site package that all GNU
> autoconf-using tools would require as a build-time dependent and which
> would simply run all the "standard" autoconf-supplied tests once at its
> own build-time and then write the results to ${PREFIX}/etc/config.site.
> (..)

Only thing remaining is how to get a list of all the symbols the thing
should check for from our (NetBSD's) source tree ? Just to make sure
every freaking symbol (function, typdef, structs, defines etc.) which
someone might be interested are there :-) (maybe with tunable depth
for ppl who think it's too big - no idea what size it would end up with).

We wouldn't want anyone to write that thing by hand, nor maintain it.
Other systems with source available might use the same path to get a
full support list for their own OS, while for those for which you do
not have the source the NetBSD source offerings of symbols is the
defining template; everything else offered additionally would require
extra run-time at configure stage I assume, but that would be okay,
wouldn't it ?

-Martin