Subject: Re: pkgsrc/mail/elm-me
To: Georg Schwarz <geos@epost.de>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/19/2004 00:03:11
Georg Schwarz [Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:40:29AM +0100]:
> One way to do this in the Makefile would be
>
> ALL_TARGET+=            CAT=${CAT} GREP=${GREP} ECHO={ECHO} MAKE=${MAKE}
> TAR=${TAR}
>
> Is this a good approach?

Absolutley *not* .

> Maybe pkgsrc has already provisions for such cases readily available?

For per-package tool support:

	USE_GNU_TOOLS=sed grep
	USE_GMAKE=yes

In more general cases: if such basic and simple utilities like cat(1) and
echo(1) are not compatible on your system, I'd rather consider upgrading
them, changing defs.IRIX.mk or /etc/mk.conf . Also, comments in mk/tools.mk
should be useful for you. Remember, if specific package needs GNU version of
[whatever], place it in package Makefile. If your whole system seems
incompatible, don't touch package's Makefile, fix it on a lower level.